Downloadable and/or online viewable meeting minutes are listed here. Minutes should be available before the next meeting date for the township board or planning commission.
- Meeting Minutes October 18, 2017
- Meeting Minutes October 9, 2017
- Meeting Minutes September 20, 2017
- Meeting Minutes September 11, 2017
- Meeting Minutes August 16, 2017
- Meeting Minutes August 14, 2017
- Meeting Minutes July 19, 2017
- Meeting Minutes July 10 2017
- Meeting Minutes June 12, 2017
- Meeting Minutes June 21, 2017
- Meeting Minutes May 17, 2017
- Meeting Minutes May 8, 2017
- Meeting Minutes April 19, 2017
- Meeting Minutes April 10, 2017
- Meeting Minutes March 13, 2017
- Meeting Minutes January 9, 2017
- Meeting Minutes December 21, 2016
- Meeting Minutes December 12, 2016
- Meeting Minutes November 14, 2016
- Meeting Minutes September 21, 2016
- Meeting Minutes September 12, 2016
- Meeting Minutes August 8, 2016
- Meeting Minutes July 11, 2016
- Meeting Minutes June 15, 2016
- Meeting Minutes June 13, 2016
- Meeting Minutes Corrected May 9, 2016
- Meeting Minutes May 18, 2016
- Meeting Minutes May 9, 2016
- Meeting Minutes April 27, 2016
- Meeting Minutes April 11, 2016
Meeting Minutes - April 19, 2017
Call to Order
- Dan Ulrich called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the Charlevoix Township Hall; other members present: Ron Fratrick, Abbie Hart, Nancy Rajewski, Josh Glass. Also present: Scott Boss, Mr. & Mrs. John Szczepanski. The Pledge of Allegiance was given.
- Minutes of March 15, 2017, were discussed. Hart moved that the minutes be approved, Rajewski seconded. A vote was taken and the motion carried unanimously.
- The Board welcomed Josh Glass as the new member, replacing Bruce Beaudoin.
- Mr. Szczepanski informed the PC that he would like to add on to his existing building at 06479 M-66 North. The property is zoned commercial, and he would like to expand his building to create better access by semi-trucks and create additional floor space for his assembly operation, which will also add jobs. The proposed addition would set back 15 feet from the back lot line and 24 feet from a side lot line, so he inquired about being granted a variance since the current ordinance requires 25 feet setback from both side and back lot lines. He pointed out that his operation does not generate any external noise and that there is already a privacy fence erected in back by the neighboring Charlevoix Estates.
- The PC explained to Mr. Szczepanski that a formal site plan needs to be submitted, which the PC would have to deny due to the setback requirements. He could then go to the Zoning Board of Appeals to request the variance and a public hearing would be held.
- Scott Boss informed the PC that he recently purchased property on US-31 (next to the motel being renovated by Dean Spenceley), and he would like permission to remove four trees from the highway frontage so that his sign will be more visible. Mr. Boss sells landscape products, and he would like to move the trees to another location on the property and eventually replace them by building a decorative limestone fence and raised garden at the front of the property. Hart excused herself from the discussion due to her own prior, similar, request to the Township.
- The PC reminded Mr. Boss that he needs to obtain a sign permit from the Zoning Administrator. He was also informed that the PC does not have the authority to allow him to move the trees and that he will have to ask the Township Board for that permission.
- Rajewski informed the PC that she had been contacted by a company inquiring about installing a solar farm in the township. Glass indicated that he had determined online that this company was reaching out to municipalities across the state, and the PC members discussed the issue of adding an ordinance related to solar farms. Ulrich stated that he had contacted Larry Sullivan, who may attend the next PC meeting to offer further information and possible language for an ordinance. The PC discussed adding it to Special Land Uses. Rajewski may also contact Peter Manthei to arrange a tour of Manthei's recent installation of solar equipment in Norwood Township.
- Next meeting tentatively scheduled for May 17, 2017, at 7:00 p.m.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:25 p.m.
Teresa A. Sotuyo