Meeting Minutes - August 16, 2017 

Charlevoix Township Board

Minutes of Regular Meeting

August 16, 2017

Approved on:                         



Call to Order


  • Dan Ulrich called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the Charlevoix Township Hall; other members present:  Ron Fratrick, Abbie Hart, and Josh Glass.  Absent: Nancy Rajewski.  Also present: Supervisor Chuck Center, Jim Malewitz, Mike Esposito, Alvin & Betty Russell, Val Whaley, Mr. Webster, Jim & Lorraine Jerkatis, Diane Priess, Jim Boss. The Pledge of Allegiance was stated.
  • Minutes of July 19, 2017, were discussed.  Hart moved that the minutes be approved, Glass seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion carried unanimously.


Old  Business


  • Supervisor Center informed the PC that he had met with Mr. Webster and Mr. Russell regarding issues with the commercial property located at 06395 & 06399 US-31 South and that agreement had been reached to resolve some of the issues.  Mr. Webster agreed that he will move all wrecked cars to the back of the building so they will not be visible from the highway.  He also indicated that three of the vehicles had been removed from the property today.
  • The issue of parking the semi-trucks and/or screening them from view was discussed with the PC. It was agreed that installing a fence would not resolve the problem. Mr. Webster agreed that he will attempt to keep up the property as best he can, including lining up the semis in a more orderly fashion. He indicated there is a camper for sale on the property that he hopes will be sold soon and that the wood pile is in the county right-of-way, is not his wood for sale, and that he does not know who maintains it.
  • Mr. Russell indicated that, even though he had previously not responded to the Township's request to plant trees along the highway during the South Side Beautification Project, he is now open to allowing the planting, and Mr. Webster concurred. The PC agreed that trees will help soften the appearance of the property.  Center offered the trees that were moved from Boss Landscaping and Russell accepted. It was agreed that the trees will be planted in the highway right-of-way, and Jim Malewitz will assist the Township in obtaining the permits. Center will contact Boss Landscaping and ask Mr. Boss to contact Mr. Russell to arrange for the planting as soon as the permit is obtained.
  • Mr. Russell presented the PC with a list of the various businesses that have operated on the property over time and their respective longevities.
  • In summary, it was agreed by the PC, the Supervisor, Mr. Webster, and the Russells that: 1) The wrecked cars will be moved out of sight to the rear of the building; 2) The semi-trucks will be parked in an orderly fashion and the property appearance will be kept up; and 3) The Township will arrange for trees to be planted along the highway.


New Business - Krist Oil Co.


  • Jim Malewitz presented the PC with an updated site plan from Krist Oil Co. to add a 384-square-foot office building for propane sales, a portable shed, and gravel parking area on their existing south side gas station property.  Mr. Malewitz reminded the PC that the plans originally approved for the site included propane tanks on the property.
  • Malewitz indicated that the site has sufficient parking as required by ordinance and no changes required for storm water. Hart stated that she was contacted by the adjacent business owner who complained of water runoff from the south-side Krist property and was informed that MDOT has been in touch with Krist to correct the erosion problem.
  • The PC reminded Mr. Malewitz that Krist had not completed the landscaping as agreed and indicated on the site plan for their north side store.  Malewitz informed the PC that the plans had not been followed because of lack of irrigation but that Krist will follow up now by planting shrubs along Mercer and around the sign that will be hardy enough to survive without irrigation and will not obstruct traffic.
  • After further discussion, Fratrick made the motion, with Glass seconding, that a vote on approving Krist's updated site plan for their south side store will be tabled until the planting has been completed at Krist's north side store property. A vote was taken and the motion passed unanimously.


New Business - Irish Boat  Shop


  • Mike Esposito from Irish Boat Shop, presented the PC with a site plan indicating they were planning to add an additional 246 square feet of office space on their property at 13000 Stover Road, which would essentially connect two existing buildings. After further discussion, Hart made the motion, with Fratrick seconding, that the site plan be approved as presented, subject to confirmation that the combined buildings will still meet with parking requirements.  A vote was taken and the motion passed unanimously.



New Business - Public Alley between Pearl and Mercer


  • Supervisor Center presented the PC with an "Alley License Agreement" between the Township and Lane and Pam Beatty regarding applying blacktop to the alley that runs between Mercer and Pearl. He explained that the Agreement protects the Township from being responsible to repair the blacktop in the future should the water line in the alley need repair or other issues where the blacktop might need to be cut into.  Center informed the PC that the Township Board approved the Agreement, that Township Attorney Golski stated that the alley is not defined as a parcel and therefore not subject to site plan, and that the County Drain Commissioner requested that a drainage plan be drafted by an engineer. Malewitz presented the PC with the drainage plan and indicated that the alleyway currently pitches to the south but that the blacktop would be pitched to the north, toward the Beatty property, so that the properties to the south side of the alley would not be adversely affected by applying the blacktop.
  • After further discussion, Hart made the motion, with Fratrick seconding, that the PC approve the blacktop plan included in the Alley License Agreement.  A vote was taken and the motion passed unanimously.
  • Jim Jerkatis suggested to the PC that the alley be called "Dale's Lane" in honor of the late Dale Boss who for many years maintained the alley and made many other contributions to our community, and Mr. Jerkatis suggested that a name sign and petunia basket be erected at the alleyway. Hart made the motion, with Fratrick seconding, that the PC recommend to the Township Board and support naming the alley "Dale's Lane."  A vote was taken and the motion passed unanimously




Next Meeting


  • Next meeting tentatively scheduled for September 20, 2017, at 7:00 p.m.
  • Meeting adjourned at 8:08 p.m.



Respectfully submitted,

Teresa A. Sotuyo

Recording Secretary